History of G.H. Reid Elementary School
G. H. Reid Elementary School is named for Gurney Holland Reid, a Chesterfield County principal. This was while Reid was a part of the Chesterfield County School System in 1958. Reid became a part of the Richmond Public School System in 1970 acquired as part of the annexation of land from Chesterfield County. In 1982, the construction of a jogging and exercise course for the school and community was funded.
Reid had a large number of community partners including the Micah Initiative, River Road Presbyterian Church, Ramsey Memorial Church, Capital One, Southside Church of the Nazarene, VCU, The Department of Parks and Recreation, Defense General Supply, YMCA and the Richmond Police Department Emergency Communications. There are over 80 staff members, 2 counselors-Mrs. Coleman and Ms. Haynes, 2 assistant principals-Ms. Holoman and Ms. Winston, and 1 principal-Mrs. Delaney.
History of G.H. Reid Elementary School Leadership
The following persons have served as Reid's principal:
1970-1984 James Frederick Jervis 14 years
1984-1986 Barbara J. Walker 2 years
1986-1987 Lynette S. Arrington 1 year
1987-1990 Ronald Eugene Herman 3 years
1990-1991 Arthur Edward Ooghe, Jr. 1 year
1991-2003 Robert J. Johnson 12 years
2003-2005 Sandra Nance 2 years
2005-2006 Sandra Moore-Clark 1 year
2006-2012 Reginald D. Williams 6 years
2012-2014 Vincent M. Darby, Sr 2 years
2014-Present Angela S. Delaney current