Our vision: As the school counselor, our role is to advocate for the students. It is our responsibility to work collaboratively with educators, parents, administrators, and other school and community members to foster, promote and improve our student’s opportunities for their success and achievement. Our goal is to guide each student to reach success in their personal/social, academic and career development. We reach our students through school wide programs, small group counseling, individual counseling and classroom guidance lessons.
What does the School Counselor do? We….
- Help student resolve problems which interfere with learning
- Increase knowledge of self and others
- Help students with emotional awareness
- Provide bullying prevention and intervention
- Offer crisis intervention and prevention
- Attend meetings with parents and teachers as requested
- Facilitate educational and career exploration
- Are members of the School Crisis Team
- Provide referrals to community agencies to assist students facing personal or family concerns outside the scope of the school counseling program
- Collaborate with parents to provide strategic advice on, but not limited to: academics, personal and social development, middle school preparation and Specialty School (Inter Baccalaureate and Franklin Military Academy) applications.
- Are team members of Child Find
Hello, G.H. Reid Family! I am Kathryn Haynes, your School Counselor, and I am very excited to learn and work with our students this year! I have been a School Counselor for five years now and really love what I do. Especially when I get to do lessons with the classes. I love open class discussion and learning from their curiosity and critical thinking!
Outside of work, I love to spend time with my family. I also like to travel; which is good because I have a large family, so I am often on the road to visit them! I find working outside; building, painting, pulling weeds, wood working, etc., on my house to be therapeutic (no manicures for me!). I also enjoy taking my two dogs, Roscoe and Koda, on walks or hikes. I think they enjoy them too:)
I look forward to getting to know you and please don't hesitate to reach out to our team!
Phone: (804) 745-3550